Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Dwyane vs. Dirk

In an earlier post, I tried to see you on why you should be watching these Finals. My #5 reason was LeBron vs. Dirk - I had the match-up wrong.

The key is Dwyane vs. Dirk. On the Miami side of the ball, there have been three important storylines playing out for me:

1) Dwyane Wade is much, much better than I have given him credit for being. He is a ridiculous athlete who gets to the rim at will, blocks shots out of nowhere and is clearly the leader on the floor for Miami.

2) LeBron James is lost. He is so passive it has become indefensible. He isn't just playing defense or facilitating - he is invisible in this series. These are the Finals and he is a no-show.

3) Mario Chalmers might be the difference in this series. He keeps hitting big shots and I keep thinking I'd rather have him than Jason Kidd or J.J. Barea right now.

Back to Wade vs. Dirk - these guys are both playing their guts out for a title. Wade is part of everything both offensively and defensively. He had a tremendous block on Tyson Chandler last night and another on Jason Terry. He got out in transition and was able to stop on a dime in order to not only avoid going out-of-bounds, but to draw a foul (though he did miss one of the free throws). The final play of the game was drawn up for Wade as well - this is clearly his team and his Finals.

Then you've got Dirk - he woke up with a 102 fever, but came out 3-3 in the opening minutes and then battled through what was clearly a debilitating illness. I don't want to get myself a glass of juice when I have a 102 fever - can you imagine playing in a sport like basketball? In the NBA Finals? I don't think Dirk is getting enough credit for last night's performance. Unbelievable.

It is a three-game series now. Dallas needs Game 5 or else it will have to win two games in Miami. I still think Miami wins in six, but I'm not counting this Dallas team out. What happens if Jason Kidd or J.J. Barea show up for the rest of the series? This thing could turn Dallas's way before it is all said and done.

No comments:

Post a Comment