Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Mike Hamilton Reaction

I'm numb to this by now. Three football coaches in three years, an embarrassing basketball scandal, a horrible baseball coach and now the A.D...not to mention things like Nuke Richardson, Tyler Smith and his boys' New Year's ride, Bryce Brown, or accusing Urban Meyer of cheating.

Thank goodness for Pat Summitt.

I will always be a Vol and pull for them, but I'm sick of them right now. I'm tired of bad news, bad news and more bad news. Is there any doubt at this point the hearings on Friday are going to be disastrous? Maybe the NCAA will say, "The Vols have suffered enough embarrassment and humiliation in the last three years...let's let it slide."

My feelings on Hamilton in particular are mostly positive. I never understood the whole "Fire Hamilton" movement unless it was out of loyalty to Phil Fulmer. Lane Kiffin was a lousy fit, but he was a good coach for a year and I didn't think it was a hiring that ought to get an A.D. fired.

The Bruce Pearl hire was a home run even with the dubious ending. We went to the Dance regularly, were #1 in the country for a week, were a basket from the Final Four - all worth the problems of 2011 in my book. We'll see about Cuonzo Martin.

The worst hire was Todd Raleigh. Tennessee baseball is a joke for no good reason. There is plenty of homegrown talent in Tennessee and Raleigh couldn't get any of it to Knoxville. He was a disaster, but nobody really cares about college baseball.

The biggest indictment on Hamilton is that he is leaving Tennessee athletics in far worse shape than he found it. I don't blame him for most of it, but that is the reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment